The bandit project has come a long way since its original inception a couple of years ago. During the last year, we’ve made a fair amount of headway along many avenues: The Higgins project code base is becoming more mature. We’ve been added as contributors to the Pamela Project. We’re working with Pam Dingle to help streamline the PHP RP code found there. We’re dramatically improving the interface on our own relying party (RP). You can see these changes take place almost daily.
The OpenXDAS project is reaching its 1 year mark – at which time we’d like to be able to finally release version 1.0 – a feature complete version of the original XDAS preliminary specification (XPS). During this work, we’ve found a few places where the XPS is lacking a little.
With help from our friends at the Open Group, we’ve been able to reinstate the XDAS working group, and we have several key contributors working to bring this specification up to date with today’s needs. Potential changes include defining the API in terms of an object model and a set of abstract messages, so that language bindings can easily be added based on the specification, rather than define it tightly in C. We’re considering a more flexible hierarchical taxonomical numbering system, and a change in the record format syntax to allow for easy insertion of URI-like names in the key data fields. In addition, we’re adding some new events to the standard XDAS taxonomy that allow for standardized management of work flow like events.
Recently we added a new component to the bandit-project site – an open source identity card selector for Linux called Digital Me. This is the open source GNU/Linux functional equivalent to the Windows card selector that’s built into to Vista, and can be downloaded from MS for Windows XP. Check it out for yourself – you can download and install it on any rpm-based GNU/Linux installation, or you can get the source and build it yourself.